As one of the pragmatic skeptics, I quote today's Waterloo moment --
in gratitude to Robert Leguillon and Alan J. Fletcher:

from    Robert Leguillon robert.leguil...@hotmail.com
to      vortex-l@eskimo.com
date    Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 9:23 AM

[ Jed Rothwell : ]
"The skeptical, conservative position is to believe in conventional
physics and to trust that laboratory grade instruments have worked
correctly in thousands of experiments (including this one) and
therefore cold fusion must be real."

Am I to understand that even the most pragmatic skepticism is to be dismissed?

So the open-minded position is that:

1)It doesn't matter if the E-Cat thermocouple was resting on the
heat-sink fins, because the thermocouples are laboratory grade and
they read correctly. Skeptics are foolish to look at this.

2)Any attempt to quantify the flow rate into the primary doesn't
matter.  It must have been consistent, and large enough to imply
significant power gains.  Skeptics are foolish to look at this.

3)The proximity of the secondary thermocouple to the steam input
doesn't matter. It may have been influenced by the steam/water input,
but it must have been less than a few percent.  It's not worth
attempting to quantify any effects, because there must have been
observed power gains.  Skeptics are foolish to look at this.

4)Temperature fluctuations in the secondary-side thermocouple cannot
be caused by overflowing water, because specific heats of steam/water
don't change the efficientcy of heat transfer to the heat-exchanger
fitting.  Skeptics are foolish to look at this.

5)The sporadic checking of the output temperature hurts calculations
of heat output, but the actual gains don't really matter in the end.
They must have been large.  Skeptics are foolish to look at this.

6)It doesn't matter if there was never any evidence of
heat-before-death, because there is ample evidence of
heat-after-death. Cold fusion is a more likely explanation than bad
calorimetry or stored heat.  Skeptics are foolish to look at this.

from  Alan J Fletcher a...@well.com via eskimo.com
to      vortex-l@eskimo.com
date    Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 9:45 AM
subject RE: [Vo]:The style is the man himself.
9:45 AM (7 hours ago)
"The skeptical, conservative position is to believe in conventional
physics and to trust that laboratory grade instruments have worked
correctly in thousands of experiments (including this one) and
therefore cold fusion must be real."

Am I to understand that even the most pragmatic skepticism is to be dismissed?

If you'd stopped at #5 you would have had my total agreement.