Michele Comitini wrote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Union_Pacific_Big_Boy

I already posted a picture of the above as an example of a machine
that had thermal power of at least 10MW.
Those locomotives were made around 1940.  They ran at 80mph max speed. . . .

Sure. No one disputes that people have been using large heat engines for a long time. I suppose the first ones exceeding 1 MW thermal were made in the 1820s. The Great Western, the first big, successful oceangoing steamship was built in 1838 and had a 750 hp engine (560 kW). Given the inefficiency of steam engines at that time I suppose that was roughly 5 MW of steam.

Here is a triple expansion marine steam engine rated 2500 hp (1.8 MW):

http://www.lanevictory.org/laneVtour_museum2.php

(Scroll down the page a little)

That's roughly 5 MW of steam, which starts at high pressure and then works its way down to the large, low-pressure cylinder.

Let me point out something about this engine. I do not know much about these things, but as I mentioned, my father spent years working on one, until a deck engine nearly killed him. I have heard a lot about what it was like working on them. If you made a mistake, or if a steam hose came off or something else went wrong, it could maim you for life or kill you faster than you can say knife. My father said there wasn't a voyage he made when he did not see someone at the docks in New York maimed, crushed or decapitated.

Modern machines are much safer than these old ones, but untested prototype reactors like Rossi's are probably back to being dangerous. Right back to 1938. Especially when they are not designed by teams of experts with supercomputers at a leading industrial corporation.

Any machine on the scale of a megawatt, and any steam production on that scale is inherently dangerous. It can be tamed, but you have to spend millions of dollars to do it. You probably need more than five people working on the project. Perhaps Rossi has consulted with experts and used supercomputer simulations. He is an experienced and successful engineer who has developed heavy diesel equipment. He understands how to do these things. But someone who recently had to sell his house to finance the project is not working on the kind of scale you expect to see in modern industrial R&D. It sounds like a shoestring operation to me, and I do not think it is wise to build heavy equipment on a shoestring.

There is a reason why people nowadays demand ultrahigh-tech test-everything-to-the-n'th degree before you turn on the first time, and OSHA rules galore. It is a conspiracy to prevent innovation. It is because our fathers and grandfathers worked with heavy equipment like marine engine, and with weapons and aircraft during WWII. They knew darn well what heavy equipment can do to you. After the war, people of my father's generation who had worked in industry, factories, ships, or in the army, went to college with G.I. Bill, and then went to work at places like the National Bureau of Standards. They put into place industrial reforms and new rules which revolutionized workplace safety and equipment safety. Nowadays it costs far more to develop machines that it used to. I think it cost $1 billion to develop the Prius. Believe me, these extra layers of safety are worth every penny. Every year, tens of thousands of lives are saved, and hundreds of thousands of people walk away from automobile accidents that would have sent them to the hospital decades ago. The same kinds of improvements have been made in engine rooms, mines, factories and everywhere else. if you want to know what industry was like 60 years ago look Russia and China, and the appalling casualty rates there.