2011/10/19 Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com>:
> I should point out that Dennis has in mind using the temperature of the
> water in the swimming pool, rather than the flow Delta T.
> That seems tricky to me because the test will run for many hours and it is

I do not believe that megawatt demonstration is too tricky or
difficult to do by sparging steam into swimming pool. Swimming pools
are well insulated from bottom and sides, therefore all heat that is
escaping is from the surface. We know the surface area exactly and I
think that surface temperature is easy to monitor measuring the
infrared radiation from the pool. Of course there are many other ways
to establish good sense of surface temperature of the pool during the
test. More or less accurately.

Then it should be straight forward to calculate the major heat loss.
Therefore pool would be easiest way to do the demonstration with
reasonable accuracy.

We do not need to worry about the stirring of the pool, if we go up to
boiling point of water. A boiling swimming pool would be the most
spectacular demonstration and it should suit well into Rossi's needs.

Keep it simple!

   –Jouni