Mary Yugo <maryyu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> There are a lot of these claims, aren't there?
>>

> Yes and so far, all have been scams or failures or both.

Untrue. The Curies' claim of anomalous energy was not a failure.
Muon-catalyzed fusion and the fusor are real, and I expect Taleyarkhan's
sono fusion is real. It probably does not produce significant heat.

If you mean unconventional claims made after 1960 or so, most have been
failures, with the possible exception of the Hydrodynamics gadget. As far
as I can tell that really does work. It was tested with the best
instrumentation Georgia Tech. can recommend, and it apparently produced
significant excess heat, albeit not enough to have any commercial
significance.

I have no idea how many have been scams. I don't keep track of that.

The fact all those other claims failed has no bearing on cold fusion. Their
failure did not reduce the likelihood that cold fusion is real. Those other
claims are technically unrelated to cold fusion, in that they employ
magnets and things like that, and not hydrides or deuterides.

As many people have pointed out, all attempts to fly before the Wright
brothers failed, but that did not mean the Wrights did not fly. It did not
call into question their results. In the technical sense that is correct.
In the real world people at the time did doubt the Wrights flew because
there have been a number of failed attempts previously, especially
Langley's.

Actually, the closer you look at that particular example the more
complicated it becomes. Several people, such as Maxim, put propellers on
flying machines and took off long before December 17, 1903, but that was
not controlled flight. From an engineering point of view the Wrights
indisputable were the first to achieve controlled flight. No one came even
close to them previously.

There were precursor events in the history of cold fusion, such as Mizuno's
observation of anomalous heat in in palladium deuteride. But I think it is
fair to say that Fleischmann and Pons have indisputable priority. Mizuno
himself agrees.

Arata has undisputed priority for the nano-particle gas loading approach.
Celani, Rossi and others followed him. This would be true even if it turns
out Rossi was unaware of Arata. I doubt he was unaware. He seems to know a
lot about the field. A good experimentalist learns all about what other
people have done before plunging in.