Mary Yugo <maryyu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I don't find this interesting. I think it pointless. You know nothing
>> about Rossi's business, so this is mere empty speculation, gossip, and
>> snooping into other people's private business.
>>

> You're entitled to your opinion but I think Rossi has made himself a
> public figure.  Also, catching him in obvious lies, such as that he is
> entirely self funded, is legitimate.

I agree. If you catch him in a lie, this will be newsworthy, and you should
report it. However, you have not caught him in a lie. You have engaged in
fatuous, groundless speculation about his business even though you know
nothing about it. I find this uninteresting.

I can't recall offhand but he's been caught in other various infelicities
> if not outright lies as well.

About some things, but not others.

The other thing you need to consider is that generally people either lie or
> they don't.

That is incorrect. They often tell half-truths, or they see things in
different ways. I think you say this because you have a bad habit of
oversimplifying and seeing things in black in white which are actually in
shades of grey. It often happens that people think they are telling the
truth but other people think they are lying. It is often impossible to
know, even years later when the full historical record is available -- even
when the event is famous and well documented -- such as IBM's market
decline in the 1980s, the discovery of the polio vaccine, the discovery of
DNA and the role of Pauling and Franklin, or what happened in the Battle of
Midway.

Read two or three history books describing Midway, for example, and try to
determine a critical question: whether the Admiral Nagumo was decisive or
dithering; and after the decisive U.S. attacks whether he acted as if he
were determined to win, or whether he in cowardly retreat, and led by the
nose by Adm. Yamaguchi. Everyone there, on both sides, from his commanding
officer Yamamoto on down, had different opinions. His own officers and
friends said one thing; those who blamed him for the defeat said another.
His actions and orders are preserved, but depending on who you read, his
orders were lies, evasions, or the best response to an impossible situation
imposed on him by Yamamoto. You can read a full description of this in the
new book "Shattered Sword" which describes this and dozens of other well
established "facts" that turn out to be questionable or myths. I guarantee
you will be confused. You would need a time machine and the ability to read
minds to know the answer.

> If they do, it's because they don't mind doing it and they can lie about
> any assertion which they make.  Liars tend to be not reliable about
> anything.

That depends on many things such as: what you ask them, whether they have
some motivation to lie, whether it is in their best interests to tell the
truth, and whether they are rational or irrational. Some people lie for a
reason, some because they are delusional, some just for the fun of it. Some
lie to help themselves and some feel a compulsion to lie even when telling
the truth is in their best interest. People are complicated, and
inscrutable. Most people that you suppose are lying turn out to be telling
one aspect of the truth. The real truth is forever unknowable, because
people are not omniscient. History books are never fully right, and seldom
completely wrong.