On Dec 22, 2011, at 7:29 AM, Jed Rothwell wrote:

Mary Yugo <maryyu...@gmail.com> wrote:

Am I to assume you examined the mathematical modeling and resulting curves in the links I provided and have analyzed and rejected them for some good reason?

Yes. I have seen blacksmiths at work. I have seen one heat a large chunk of iron, as big as the reactor core, to red hot incandescence. This is hotter than an electric heater could make the core. The iron is dunked into a bucket of water. This produces a cloud of steam, and then rapid boiling for a minute or two. It does not cause the bucket of water to boil for four hours. There is no conceivable way to store that much heat in this much iron.

You can verify that with a small-scale experiment. Try heating a nail and putting it in water.

I seriously suggest people should try this. Why not? a skeptic who sincerely believes it is possible to achieve this effect by conventional means should do some simple tests to confirm that.

Evidently the mathematical modeling is wrong. I do not have to determine the details when it is obvious the conclusions conflict with everyday experience and fundamental observational physics to this extent. If someone makes a mathematical model showing that I can jump over the Empire State building I do not need to prove it is wrong.

Note that "Rossi" means "Smith." Perhaps he comes from a long line of blacksmiths. He has the kind of intuitive skills that a good blacksmith has.

People have been working with hot iron for thousands of years. They know how it works. I know how it works. All the skeptical hypotheses that attempt to explain these test contradict knowledge going back hundreds of thousands of years.

- Jed

The heat capacity of a conductor like iron is only useful for storing energy. Insulation is required to limit the rate of dissipation of that energy. A medium, or combined layers, with a net low diffusivity, using materials like ceramics, cement, fire brick, etc. is necessary for significant dynamic effects, like peak heat release long after the source was applied.

Those are the purely passive considerations. If good insulation is present, as well as active control, heat can be released to meet any demand curve that conserves energy.

Apparently commenting further is of no use, so I'll try to refrain.

Best regards,

Horace Heffner
http://www.mtaonline.net/~hheffner/