Colin Hercus <colinher...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Google have published some details of their algorithm and that's pretty
> much how it works.

Yup. I read some of their papers. It works surprisingly well.

I guess Rossi => Smith can be considered a mistranslation. Then again,
maybe this should be considered legit. It isn't how a human would do it,
but arguably it is right in a sense. As they say, airplanes do not fly like
birds, but they do fly. Machines may not translate like people, but they do
translate.

If it was English to Japanese you might select "Suzuki-san." That's a
common name which in context means "Mr. Everyman" or "man-on-the-street."