At 08:54 PM 1/16/2012, Mark Iverson-ZeroPoint wrote:
For those not following LENR for more than about the last year, the name Bockris might be new. He did a considerable amount of excellent LENR research in the 90s, and eventually faced several ‘official’ inquiries at the insistence of colleagues… none of which found any wrong-doing or bad science. He really hasn’t been that active as far as I’m aware, at least not in academic circles. Perhaps Jed could fill us in on Bockris’ activities for the last 5 years, as regards to LENR.

Brockris is obviously one of the giants in the field. It would be great to have an interview with Brockris that wasn't filtered through Krivit's obsession. There are severe problems with Widom-Larsen theory, and I'd love to know how Brockris understands those. Krivit has, to my knowledge, never explored the reason why so many in the field reject W-L theory, practically out-of-hand.

I'll add that until we do know what is happening in these reactions, nothing can be completely ruled out.

However, one fact is clear. Helium is being produced, in a cell where the likely source of the requisite nucleons is deuterium. W-L theory proposes a process where a deuteron becomes a dineutron through electron capture (one could indeed call that the "fusion" of a deuteron with an electron), and then the neutrons cause further reactions, some of which release helium. Was that helium formed by "fusion"?

The only problem with the statement is if one restricts the term "fusion" to a particular reaction, i.e., D + D -> He-4, with no intermediaries.

What prompted this posting is the following blog from NET/SKrivit:

Bockris Paper Advances Thanks to Widom-Larsen Theory
Posted on January 13, 2012 by Steven B. Krivit

John O’Mara Bockris, regarded as one of the world’s pre-eminent electrochemists, recently advised me that he overcame objections by referees to a paper he submitted for publication by citing the Widom-Larsen Theory.

Bockris sent me a letter on Jan. 2 and discussed his progress.

“I have been absolutely intrigued by [Lewis] Larsen and have changed my mind about his stuff,” Bockris wrote. “I used one of his equations in a paper which was held up by referees and was able to defeat them by Larsen’s equation!”

Bockris has also been following my distinction between low-energy nuclear reactions and “cold fusion.”

“If I understand clearly what you say, you agree that some of the work that has been going on may involve nuclear reactions,” Bockris wrote, “but that it’s not fusion. Is that what you said? If it is, then I agree with it. Most of the condensed matter nuclear reactions do not involve fusion.”

Which begs the question. What is "fusion"? There is a standard definition, and the standard definition is applied both to simple reactions such as D+D, which is very well-known and studied, under hot conditions, and, as well, low-temperature catalyzed conditions, as with muon-catalyzed fusion, and as well to complex reactions, as in stellar interiors. Most high-Z elements are formed through nucleosynthesis, from lighter elements, and that is, by definition, fusion.

In rejecting "cold fusion," the physics establishment fell into a very easy trap. Had they been rigorous in their descriptions and in the explanations of why they were rejecting it, they'd probably have noticed the error. They assumed that if it was fusion, it must be D+D fusion, straight, no complications. They were essentially claiming that complications were impossible, which is *always* an error. As an example, if I say that fusion is impossible at temperatures lower than X, I'd obviously be in error, unless I very carefully qualify the statement, because:

1. For any particular reaction, under particular conditions, there will be a fusion cross-section, essentially a measure of the rate of fusion. Because of tunneling, the fusion cross-section is never zero, if the reaction itself is possible at any temperature. What is really being said is not that fusion is impossible, but that the rate at low temperatures will be very low, well below the rates necessary to explain the Pons and Fleischmann results, and other work in the field.

2. However, to calculate that rate, one must define a specific reaction. Call that reaction Z. Z may be a known reaction, in which case rates and products may be known. From the experimental data, one may be able to rule out Z as happening, but even this can be shaky. Is it possible that Z could happen due to an unexpected form of catalysis? Physicists may have a knee-jerk idea that this is unlikely, but no physticist worth his salt would say that it's impossible. The "unlikely" comes from ideas that if this reaction took place under low-temperature conditions, it would have been observed, but this argument breaks down if examined closely. After all, observations are being reported. When we look back, we find evidence that anomalous heat (and perhaps radiation) from highly loaded PdD was observed before, and dismissed as an unknown artifact, just "one of those things" that are never explained.

3. The decision of the U.S. DoE in 1989 was reasonable, in its final form, but not in how it was interpreted. That decision was, as a result of certain influences, cautiously written. It did not rule out the possibility of a low energy nuclear reaction. It merely considered the evidence, to that point, weak, and it actually encouraged further research. That encouragement was nullified by political pressure from the particle physicists, who were not about to allow funding to be diverted from their own work. The U.S. DoE has never followed the recommendations of its own ERAB Panel. It repeated the review in 2004, with even stronger conclusions that there was some kind of anomaly here, and a unanimous recommendation for further research to answer certain questions. In fact, while much research remains to be done, the 2004 review was flawed in that some aspects of the field, certain quite solid research results, were misinterpreted and thus ignored, it's easy to show that. They did not realize that the major ash from the PdD reaction was known, and had been found to be very strongly correlated with the anomalous heat; that helium is being produced is a red flag that nuclear reactions are taking place, and the facile explanation that it could be leakage is utterly inconsistent with the experimental data. Leakage would not produce correlated excess heat. Magically at the right value for deuterium fusion to helium. (Very conservative statements say "within an order of magnitude of the value expected from deuterium fusion to helium, but Storms estimates 25 +/- 5 MeV/He-4, allowing for the difficulties of capturing and measuring all the helium, with the theoretical value being 23.8 MeV/He-4. Krivit vociferously contests this, finding this or that alleged error or unclarity, but Miles reported his early data as exponential levels of helium, numbers of atoms produced, as simple powers of ten. Later work has been more precise, but Huizenga, the highly skeptical co-chair of the ERAB Panel in 1989, noted and commented on Miles' early reports as being amazing, and as, if confirmed, explaining a "major mystery of cold fusion," i.e., the ash. He still considered it impossible.

4. Why Huizenga considered it impossible is diagnostic of most of the rejection: it was considered impossible because neutrons were not being found in anything other than very low numbers, possibly significant, possibly background or cosmic-ray bursts or the like, and D + D would be expected to produce rough a neutron for every two reactions. Huizenga was caught in the assumption that if there was a reaction, it must be D + D.

5. Yes, physicists think of D+D if we talk about "fusion" where the apparent fuel is deuterium. They don't, for example, think of D2 + D2, because such a reaction is non-existent under the conditions they know: plasma. In a plasma, the electrons have been stripped from the nuclei, so there is no D2 molecule. The very concept of molecular fusion is utterly outside their experience, they know of no example. However, certain things are possible with molecules that are not possible with raw nuclei. In the solid state, to start, molecules can have *positions* that could enhance the possibility of fusion. If deuterium molecules have very low relative velocity, they may be able to collapse into a Bose-Einstein Condensate, where the internuclear distances become very small.

6. Multibody fusion, I've seen, is immediately rejected by particle physicists because they think that if there is reaction rate between 2 nuclei of 1/X, then the rate for 3 nuclei would be roughly 1/X^2, as if there are two independent reactions involved, and, again, this is because of their experience. However, Takahashi, in his early work with LENR, studied the fusion reaction rates for D+ bombardment of deuteride targets and found an enhancement of fusion rate of many orders of magnitude over the expectation from this crude probability estimate. He began, then, studying the physics of confined deuterium, and discovered that, starting from what he calls the Tetrahedral Symmetric condition, four deuterons, with electrons, arranged in a tetrahedron, the molecules can be predicted to collaspe and fuse within a femtosecond. That collapse is the motion into a Bose-Einstein Condensate; as I understand his theory, there is a "bounce," i.e., the collapse continues beyond the steady-state condition, it is in this bounce that fusion takes place, he calculates 100% cross-section. So the reaction rate depends on the frequency of formation of the TS condition *or of some other condition.*

7. The dirty little secret of the physicists: they don't know how to calculate fusion cross section in condensed matter, they were *assuming* that the "mostly empty space" assumption allowing most quantum mechanical calculations was valid. This, in fact, was the very assumption that Pons and Fleischmann were testing in their research, *and they expected to confirm it,* Fleischmann later claimed. They were surprised when their experiment melted down. They did understand the implications. The assumptions of routine application of 2-body quantum mechanics to condensed matter were inaccurate.

8. Takahashi does not assert, I assume, the TS condition as the actual condition that sets up cold fusion. He studies the TS condition because the symmetry makes the calculation feasible, if difficult. It is possible that there is a range of states which can collapse and fuse.

9. We do not know the actual reaction taking place. It is, in my opinion, some kind of cluster fusion, and most in the field seem to favor that idea. It remains possible that the reaction is D + D, because there might be some condition that (1) confines the product to helium, and (2) dumps the energy to the lattice or cell environment instead of producing the expected gamma ray to conserve momentum. For the same reason as this was considered unlikely by most physicists at the time, I also consider it unlikely. It's a huge amount of energy to dump. But I can't say it's impossible. We should never use "impossible" for something unknown! However, we routine consider things impossible, the legitimate reason is that these things are unexpected. But when the chimera comes up and licks us in the face? And that's what happened to a subset of those who tried to replicate Pons and Fleischmann, and they became the famous "believers." They believed because they had see the light, so to speak. The heat. And when helium was found to be correlated with that heat, fusion *should have become the default hypothesis, by Occam's Razor.*

10. All this got confused by issues of practical application. It is possible, as many in the field have stated, that no practical application might be possible. Until we either have a practical application, or we know what's actually happening, we really can't make predictions about practical applications. Rossi may have found an approach, or Rossi may be a huge mistake or worse. Again, we don't know, we can only speculate and infer, which is always limited by prior experience, and prior experience can lead us astray, if we imagine Reality to be limited by it.

11. In any case, it cannot be said that "fusion" at low temperatures is impossible. It's obviously possible, from muon-catalyzed fusion. Takahashi's TSC theory provides an example that is "possible," if the conditions are set up, and those conditions are not energetically far from what we could predict. It is obvious that the TS condition must be very rare, probably depending on some uncommon defect in the lattice, and very particular conditions. While the TS condition is very close to absolute zero, as to temperature, it clear requires energy to form it. It's "compressed" beyond what positions the molecules would naturally assume, if I'm correct. If you try to push two deuterium molecules together, cross-wise, say by a collision between the two molecules, cross-wise, and if you give them enough energy -- just -- that they would, from the repulsion between their electrons, slow to zero velocity, the force on each molecule would dissociate it. There must be a confining force, presumably, here, the lattice. I imagine one molecule, sitting in a cavity, held by the cavity in a certain orientation, with a second molecule entering with a vector that takes the combination to TS. Given that this is 4D in one cell, the forces on the palladium matrix would, if sustained, disrupt it. Takahashi's calculations have been done assuming a single cell, but I consider it likely that the effective "cells" are defects that are larger.

12. I've just outline one of the many theories that are considered by Storms to be "plausible." I don't personally categorize W-L theory that way, or at least I have not seen any explanation of it that addresses the major problems. Krivit has not done his work as an investigative reporter; he simply became an advocate for what he doesn't understand. Not the first time. He was an advocate for cold fusion without a deep understanding. Krivit has not sought out and hosted *criticism* of W-L theory from those competent to understand it. He became attached, probably because of this misunderstanding about "fusion."

13. This is where Krivit is right: the physicists rejection "fusion" because they though of it as meaning a particular reaction. Remember, Krivit thinks that most cold fusion researchers are biasing their work because of their alleged belief in "fusion." I've never seen him really look at this neutrally. Cold fusion researchers don't believe what he thinks. Yes, most of them think that some kind of fusion is taking place, a few think that it might still be D-D fusion, but they know that "fusion" covers a large range of possible reactions, not just D+D. Cluster fusion is not D+D.

14. TSC fusion, for example, is 4D -> Be-8 -> 2 He-4, perhaps. That reaction still has a problem, what happens to the energy? Neutrons would not be directly produced, nor gammas, but one might haively expect the helium produced to be born with kinetic energy of 23.8 MeV, which is experimentally not so. Until the mystery is explained, we can't assert TSC theory or cluster fusion to be solidly established. I'll just point to what I think is so: we do not know what happens when fusion takes place within a Bose-Einstein Condensate. It is conceivable to me that the energy is distributed among all the elements of the condensate, including the electrons. With 4D, the Be-8 nucleus is capable of radiating energy to the lattice through a series of photon emissions, each with relatively low energy, until Be-8 reaches the ground state. Normally, it wouldn't have time for that, Be-8 is highly unstable. But, effectively, the energy would be radiated by the entire condensate, that's how I'd expect a condensate to behave. If the Be-8 ground state decays, I think there is 90 KeV left, to be distributed among two nuclei and four electrons. (Or is it twice 90 KeV? I forget). In any case, we are getting close to the "Hagelstein limit" of 20 KeV for whatever reaction is taking place. If products above 20 KeV are routine, effects would have been seen that are not seen.

15. It seems to me that if Be-8 is stable within a BEC, it might remain as Be-8 until the BEC is disturbed and breaks up. Thus the energy distributed among the elements of the BEC would be from the ground state, usually. (If the BEC is larger than 4D, it might be meaningless to define a component as "Be-8." By the way, I'm way over my head here, like a fish dimly perceiving or imagining what might be above the water....

16. Bottom line: the long-standing definition of "fusion" is not specific to a particular kind of reaction. It refers to any process that takes low-Z nuclei and converts them to high-Z nuclei. Such reactions, when Z is low enough, generally produce products with a bit less mass than the reactants, so they produce energy. Krivit's technically right, about what many physicists think, but that thinking is logically defective, as explained above. D-D fusion is an example, and it is a logical error to identify and restrict a class to a particular example.

To give an analogy, suppose one is a police officer and every "crack dealer" one has encountered has been black. The officer is informed about a possible crack dealer, walking across the street. "Impossible," the officer thinks, that man is white. Besides, he doesn't dress like a crack dealer, you know, with the gold jewelery, and the car he's getting into isn't flashy and expensive. Must be some mistake. (My apologies for all the stereotypes mentioned. I'm making a point that stereotypes can be useful under some circumstances, they may even have served this officer well in the past, but can lead to major blunders.) We know, in fact, that there are many kinds of fusion reactions, both known and possible through theory even if not actually observed. It was a major blunder to confine consideration to known reactions. Pons and Fleischmann ultimate claimed, not "fusion," but "unknown nuclear reaction." I now assert that "fusion" is probably correct, at least for most of the reactions taking place, but only because of what Pons and Fleischmann apparently did not know: helium as a product correlated with the heat. The product and the correlation ratio tell us that, as the simplest explanation, something is converting deuterium to helium, and a process that does that is a "fusion process," no matter what the mechanism is.

In W-L theory, deuterium is convered to neutrons though what amounts to electron catalysis, with the neutrons then causing other reactions that are claimed to result, sometimes at least, in helium. That's a "conversion of deuterium to helium." Fusion. But "cold fusion" got such a bad name that some are relieved to be able to say, "No, I don't believe in cold fusion, I'm not crazy. But 'low energy nuclear reactions' are possible through neutron formation." I think it's a big mistake. The alleged formation of those neutrons creates a host of theoretical problems, it does not simplify the situation, far from it. But this is not the time to detail the problems with W-L theory, just to note that the "escape hatch" it provides leads to a trap, very likely, once there is accumulated cogent criticism of W-L theory published. Mostly, unfortunately, it's been ignored.