On Mon, Jan 16, 2012 at 11:29 PM, Mark Iverson-ZeroPoint <
zeropo...@charter.net> wrote:

> Sure, the US went off the gold standard decades ago (a mistake in my
> opinion), but where does money get invested when currencies weaken…
> precious metals.  You do realize that we’re not just talking transmutation
> of two or three elements… the LENR tests which looked for transmuted
> elements found many… some over ten different elements, and I’m not counting
> isotopes as separate elements.  LENR would most likely have a very
> disruptive impact on that market… which has advantages as well as
> disadvans… a lot of those metals are used in technologies like integrated
> circuits and special alloys for aircraft, and the price will come down,
> which is good for the consumer.

Yeah -- I've taken a look at some of the NAA and SIMS spectra.  The
isotopes are all over the map.  If the data are taken at face value, it
looks like whatever you put on the nickel or palladium surface could
potentially be modified significantly.  It's interesting on some level to
think that you could generate isotopes using a controlled process of some
kind, and being able to do this would no doubt be valuable for scientific
and technological applications.

But there are three considerations that give me pause, here.  The first two
are related to evidence and the third to safety.  First, a lot of the
spectra in the papers are small and hard to read and don't give you clear
error bars, so it's difficult to get a sense of how much above error the
shifts are at the end of the experiment.  Some papers give this level of
detail, which is helpful to have.  But in any event the following slides
give a good overview of some of the subtleties involved in this kind of
measurement:  http://www.lenr-canr.org/acrobat/ApicellaMmassspectr.pdf.

Second, I don't have a good sense of what the difference between a genuine
shift in isotopes, on one hand, and contamination of some kind, on the
other, would look like.  The question legitimately arises whether there are
simply impurities in the hydrogen gas or heavy water that are glomming onto
the cathode.  I imagine there are some people who could look at the spectra
and immediately get a sense of the difference.

A third concern relates to safety.  The possibility has already been
brought up that if these experiments emit gamma rays (I've read several
papers that indicate that they do under certain circumstances), then it's
likely that any devices would be regulated.  It's fine to create
regulations, but since such devices involve components that you can
purchase over the Internet and assemble at home, there's only so much you
can do to keep any emerging technology under control.  What if you could
take something like uranium-238, which is relatively abundant, add
sufficient neutrons to it and then let it alpha and beta decay to
uranium-235?  This is the kind of thing that happens in the course of
r-process nucleosynthesis, which seems like it might be similar to what is
going on in LENR.  This chart suggests that if you can get something into
the actinide series, you're well on your way:

  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Radioactive_decay_chains_diagram.svg

I can only imagine that there are complications here and there, including
losing relatively unstable isotopes before they can accumulate.  But the
larger point is that the discovery of LENR, if it is real, might have
negative implications as well as positive ones.