Shaun,

I don't know if you know the following thread but this topic has been analyzed before:

http://www.mail-archive.com/vortex-l@eskimo.com/msg52981.html
Further, Rossi answered to a question regarding the thermocouple placement:
http://www.mail-archive.com/vortex-l@eskimo.com/msg52669.html

Wolf

Image of heat transfer material and location of thermocouple bead before the insulation was removed.
http://i43.tinypic.com/zk65b4.jpg

I'm no expert but those who are always tell me to get valid temperature data with a bead thermocouples, the bead head needs to be covered with a thermal transfer compound and the bead head needs to be in full face contact with the heat source.

Knowing that and looking at the Lewans close up, that seems to have been taken earlier than any other image of that location I can find, where the bead head was located and the removal path it followed during it's removal is clear.

Shaun