Perhaps.  I don't see what this theory offers that makes it more likely than
Rossi is a con man.

Since you mention his TE...  In the Army report, it says that Rossi returned to
Italy to continue working on it.  What that report doesn't say is that Rossi
had every intention of returning to the U.S. after a "vacation" in Italy (he
had a return ticket already purchased), but that he was arrested for bankruptcy
fraud.  He was then convicted and sentenced to eight years in prison.  So,
that's why he didn't return to finish his work on the TE.

June 1, 2000:  Rossi arrested as a "fugitive".
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Farchiviostorico.corriere.it%2F2000%2Fgiugno%2F01%2Fcella_mago_del_petrolio__co_2_000601164.shtml

October 20, 2000:  Rossi convicted to 8 years in prison.
http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Farchiviostorico.corriere.it%2F2000%2Fottobre%2F20%2FCondannato_otto_anni_mago_del_co_2_0010202627.shtml

This was the last of many convictions reported in the local newspapers, and I
was unable to find any signs that he was acquitted of this.  (I did find
newspaper reports that he was acquitted of the "toxic waste dump" charges, but
not of the many financial fraud convictions throughout the 1990s).  It would be
interesting to find the first reference to Rossi from the 2000s.  That would
set an upper limit on how long he actually spent in prison.

I know we're supposed to ignore Rossi's criminal background, but in this case
it helps explain why Rossi wasn't around to continue his TE work.