JoJo,

I own a small ($2M annual revenue) industrial engineering company in
Atlanta.  Give me access to a few good minds like on this board and access
to some lab equipment (maybe rent time/resources at Ga Tech nano group
across the highway - Electron Microscope & Mass Spec, etc). and we could
probably get some results within 6 months (assuming we nail down the
reactants (Ni, H, C, K2HCO3, etc) - our PE Engineers could come up with a
few reactor/heat transfer designs and get them fabbed in a local shop

It looks like Rossi ordered most of his parts from a Grainger catalog...
 Defkalion just drilled into a steel block some kernals and channels for
thermal liquid heat transfer.

Just swagging some numbers which might be a little more realistic assuming
the reactants could be nailed down within months instead of years.....:

Prototype Cost:

Research: $150K - GA Tech Equip, access to nano/materials group to help
with Ni surface, co-deposition, etc.  PhD help from guys like Axil

Engineering: (reactor drawings, specs) $100K
Prototyping Cost: $50K (ea. Reactor only probably <$5K) make a few
prototypes
Instrument and Controls: $50K

$350K gets a reactor prototype functioning like Defkalion...

I have many industrial customers that would die for something like this
either generating heat or between 50-1000 PSIG steam in their plant.  I
could not make them fast enough.

Most of my customers would most likely finance a project once a prototype
is proven.  I could replace every industrial boiler/heater in everyone of
my customers plants with these things!