(Guenter: Your e-mail is set so that responses here go to you.)

Guenter Wildgruber <gwildgru...@ymail.com <mailto:gwildgru...@ymail.com>> wrote:

   I would dare to say that Rossi is a tragic figure.

I sometimes feel that way . . . But it remains to be seen, doesn't it? He has not failed yet. He may yet end up being history's first trillionaire. He and Defkalion may reconcile and be friends again. Many good things may happen to him. He deserves them all.

   His personal idiosyncrasies just don't match the size of the problem.
   Just three examples:
   a) Spending 500k€ for an evaluation at U Bologna.
   A black box-test would cost less than a 10th.

Ah, but he cancelled that. I did not think the U. Bologna test was tragic, but it did strike me as a waste of money.

   b) having an unreasonable cost/timescale: 1mio units this year in a
   fully automated factory.

Rossi starts with unreasonable timescales. He sometimes achieves them. He astounds me! I thought he would never get a 1 MW reactor working by October, but apparently he did.

   c) seemingly constantly changing his design. See his recent
   cost-estimates for 10kW units. Ridiculous.

I regard these constant changes as a mark of genius. This is essential part of inventing. Inventing -- as opposed to scientific research. Look at the different designs for incandescent light bulbs in Edison's notebooks in 1879. The variations are mind-boggling. His team went through dozens of different ideas and variations as extreme as Rossi's. They did not "stumble upon" the right design. They tried an incredible range of things, but they kept zeroing or coming back to the more practical ones.

   Improvements should be split into product-generations. Messing these
   up with small resources-he definitely has-,
   is a recipe for disaster.

It was a recipe for success in Edison's case. Rossi seems to be succeeding. He has made more progress than most other cold fusion researchers combined.

Rossi's methods are not orderly.

   Look at the  tables for his setups. The cheapest of the cheap.

Cheap is good. The cheaper the better. The cheaper and easier it is to make a product, the quicker sales ramp up, and the more money you make.

   Not that is decisive, but simultaneously telling something about
   fully automated factories this year, generates cognitive dissonance.

I see no contradiction. Here is the ideal that every capitalist yearns for:

A fully automated factory churning out ultra cheap products that people everywhere want and need.

That is the key to making as much money as anyone can make. That's what Edison had in the incandescent light, and Gates had in factories producing CD-ROMs of Windows software. Few people in history have been so fortunate as to come up with something like this. Rossi may yet join their ranks.