I have a PhD in Physics even if this is not my field, I'm trying to learn
more about it. But usually I can read most physics papers and understand
their main content.

I will read the paper more carefully but it seems that they are describing
in section 3, the harmonic motion of a proton that is immersed in a
electric field and displaced from equilibrium by a small displacement u.

The a in equation 25 is not well explained but I believe is a distance on
the order of the size of a proton. In fact you could use 25 as a definition
of a=5.1x10^11V/m/e. It is arbitrary at this point and this quantity is
used to parameterize the field in terms of a distance ratio between small
displacement and this a.

So for example, the field would be E^2=16/9 * (5.1x10^11V/m)^2 *4 if the
small displacement u is 2a (9 if displacement is 3a and so on).
Nothing wrong in the equation.

Giovanni