This is a political topic which, as Robert pointed out, should be moved to
vortexb-l. However I would like to make some apolitical comments which I
hope will not be considered controversial.

I am a big fan of capitalism. I think I made that clear in my book. It is
not perfect, but no system is. It must be regulated. Some things, such as
building roads and health care are best handled were paid for by the
government because of the nature of the technology. it just happens that
was early 21th first century healthcare costs are very high for various
reasons. One of these reasons is that the technology of healthcare is
changing rapidly. The pace of change will slow down in the future and
medical equipment cost will fall. Anyway, people cannot afford to pay for
catastrophic healthcare themselves. This was not true 100 years ago and it
may not be true 100 years in the future.

Perhaps I am the proverbial man with a hammer who sees all problems as a
nail, but from my point of view technology is both the source of many of
our problems and the cure. Many problems which politicians and opinion
makers assume must be solved with social policy or tax policy should
actually be solved by inventing new technology, or by forcibly abandoning
old technologies such as coal-burning generators. Obviously cold fusion is
most dramatic example of a solution that will obviate the need for
sacrifice, difficult choices, wars for oil and so on.

People are seldom aware of how important technology is or how much we have
benefited from it. They take things for granted. When personal computers
first appeared they seemed miraculous to most people. The ability to type a
document without retyping seemed wonderful to people who were used to
typewriters or pen and paper. nowadays we take them for granted and we
complain about their shortcomings more than we appreciate their benefits

Even though I appreciate what capitalists have done, I believe engineers
and scientists have contributed more. Steve Jobs was a great businessman,
but we can thank Woz for the Apple. Woz and the people at Xerox Parc. If
cold fusion succeeds, I predict that in the long view of history,
Fleischmann and Pons will have contributed more to our happiness and to the
survival of the human race and the ecosystem than all 20th century
capitalists combined.

Fleischmann, Pons, Mizuno and most other cold fusion researchers are not
motivated by capitalism. They are driven mainly by curiosity, an instinct
far more ancient and fundamental than acquisitiveness. Curiosity is
exhibited by animals as small and simple as the guppy, a creature which
certainly cannot conceive of ownership and probably has no sentience or
sense of self. (A cricket cannot distinguish other individual crickets from
one another, or even from a plastic cricket held by a biologist.)