Andre,

> AB: the fusioncatalyst.org open source initiative that Bastiaan announced
will use the beaglebone, which is a very similar device, and uses the same
ARM CPU core. It is here on my desk, has tons of I/O pins and works great.

Thanks for mentioning this again. I must have missed it the first time
around.

My only quibble with this important initiative and mission is the assumption
of nuclear "fusion" which is prominently featured. Since this term has a
precise meaning in physics, and yet it may not be indicative of the actual
mechanism at play in whatever system emerges as the primary way to produce
excess heat, it could be a mistake to feature it so prominently, IMO.
Following Fuku, there is a lot of knee-jerk negativity towards anything that
smacks of toxic radiation.

There is close to zero independent evidence of gammas, neutrons, helium,
tritium, 3He or any of the other indicia of hydrogen based fusion in ongoing
operation of a device. Celani has made an anecdotal claim which may relate
to startup only. Many of us suspect a new kind of quasi-nuclear reaction
which will not be called "fusion" in the end.

The terms "quasi-nuclear" or "supra-chemical" related to a mechanism where
inner electron orbitals (as opposed to valence electrons) are involved (as
in the Mössbauer effect) yet the ultimate energy source does relate to
conversion of nuclear mass to energy, but in a way that does not usually
involve significant gamma radiation. Real fusion cannot occur without
substantial gamma radiation, and this cannot be shielded with a miniscule
amount of lead.

Anyway - other than that quibble, this is a very important initiative, and
let's hope it gains momentum. Prior to hearing about the ‘beaglebone’ I was
thinking about the Raspi as possibly a front-end for another similar sized
board, which would have the I/O and other A/D parts and the relays needed to
collect and control a fair number of inputs – temp, pressure, and so on.
This would include the enigmatic RF generator, if this turns out to be an
efficient way to stimulate the reaction.

Jones