Jones,

I respect you too, but also disagree, :-)

> Real fusion cannot occur without
> substantial gamma radiation

What a nonsense is that? If you mean with real, "established", then
ok. I think there is no principal reason for gamma and neutron
radiation in all fusion reactions (there is in plasma D-D fusion).
There are reactions thinkable that do comply with conservation laws
for energy/mass/momentum yet emit their energy in the form of phonons
(lattice vibrations) and have no neutrons left over.

I do agree with you that completely other things are thinkable
(zero-point, hydrino's,.. etc. the sky is the limit if you allow
yourself to break the laws.). I still don't get why Widom-Larsen claim
their theory is not fusion, they have more details about the reaction
mechanism, right or wrong, the energy still comes from the lower
binding energy that lesser&bigger nuclei have, aka fusion. Yes, "Cold
Fusion" stinks but I have no problem getting over it, if it actually
works. (if!)

Cheers.