*There are some far-out theories about cold fusion, relating to things like
magnetic monopoles. Most experts dismiss these theories. I cannot judge
them, but I would be very careful not to say the authors are idiots*.

The human mind is compelled to make sense out of the quantum world even if
what is being observed is beyond comprehension.

The results of cold fusion experiments... the theme park of quantum
mechanics...  are almost always Rorschach tests which are incomprehensible;
a series of spots, light and dark, hiding a  meaning that the human mind
demands yet is incapable of understanding, a truth both foreign and far
beyond the experience of the observer.

But the mind must make an attempt to find order in the face of the
incomprehensible.

In this pressing need, the observer is compelled to form a Rorschach
construct which gives the required shape to his world, an illusion both
pleasing and false.

In this necessity is born the magnetic monopole as an illusion in the mind
of man. But even if the magnetic monopole is fanciful, the flight of
unrestrained imagination, and an affront to accepted doctrinaire, it
answers the question that must be answered and gives form to the magic that
pleases. It’s simply a phantasmal placeholder for the ultimate truth to
come, and interim step down the long and winding road to the reality that
lies beneath.