Very well presented.  The first half should be looked at by all
politicians responsible for implementing the long term plans required
to maintain our standard of living.  But I disagree with the ultimate
conclusions.  All the problems presented including mineral, and water
shortages (possible exception of overfishing) are solvable with other
energy sources.  Even ignoring LENR I am quite sure that we have
access to all of the energy that humanity needs from alternative
sources like solar, nuclear, wind at a price not far above today's
very low prices.

But even without viable LENR there is a technology available that
could manufacture oil and electricity from inexhaustible sources for a
price about half of current oil and electricity.  Not many people have
heard of it but Heavy Ion Fusion would be a total solution:
http://www.fusionpowercorporation.com/corporation
1 hour long presentation:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2emKoMgZ03U

In summary Heavy Ion Fusion uses a huge linear accelerator driver to
fuse lead coated D-T targets, and is expected to cost about $20Billion
for 100GW output (no sense in building smaller owing to ignition
energy requirements).  That is many times cheaper than nuclear and
avoiding all the problems of nuclear power.  HIF creates energy at
high temp that can be used to create hydrogen in sulphur iodine cycle,
that can then be combined with CO2 from the atmosphere to create
hydrocarbons at about $50/barrel equivalent.  Waste heat from hydrogen
production can then make electricity and waste heat from electricity
production can then do huge-scale desalination.

A few hundred of these plants dotted around the world would provide
for all of humanities future energy and water needs, and the
technology does not require any breakthroughs - it could be built
within 10 years using mostly 1970's technology - it is for example
much simpler and more easily implemented technology than what NIF or
ITER requires.  And it is very compatible with existing
infrastructure.

The problem is that it requires the political will to spend $20-30
billion over 10 years to get it working - actually similar cost to
ITER or about 2-3% of cost of the 'war on terror'
http://costofwar.com/en/ but it would be a much cheaper way of
ensuring access to oil than middle eastern intervention has been.