On Thu, Apr 05, 2012 at 03:56:56PM +0100, Robert Lynn wrote:
> Flying cars can eliminate the need for cities, and many of the problems
> that cities create:
> -crime and other social problems arising from lack of community
> -hugely expensive housing driven by high land prices
> -wasted lives commuting
> -environmental issues from high population densities
> -expensive and bad environment for children, (cities are huge population
> sinks where people cannot afford to have children, unlike rural areas)
> -massive expense of transport infrastructure

As hinted at by Jed and Eric, the problems you are describing are very
US-centric, and I don't think flying cars are the way to address them.  In
Europe (for example) cities are designed to live in, rather than commute
from/to

I was born in the US, and you pretty much have to have a vehicle:  the
public transportation is poor or nonexistent, there are few bike lanes, and
important places (home, work, market, pub) are so geographically separated
that you have no other options.

Over here things are much better.  Every place I want to go is accessible
by foot.  There are dedicated bike paths to and from every city, and if you
don't have a bike there are trains and buses which run frequently around
the clock.  The social life certainly benefits from this.

Perhaps better planning would assuage some of these problems, but I'm not
so sure.  It's possible this urban sprawl/car culture runs too deep.

-X