Average European commute is ca. 33 minutes. That is perhaps something like <8
miles. I have less than 25 minutes if walking to the parking lot is accounted.

As Xavier pointed out this problem with cities is mostly American problem due
to bad city design. Other problem is with the distribution of wealth in
America, because middle class real incomes has not increased since 1970's. This
causes all sorts of social problems and is greatly contributing to commuting
distance. One factor is that middle class workers has no longer enough
purchasing power to buy decent house from near the working place, hence longer
and longer commute. However, when oil prices are rising, it will hurt
disproportionally the middle class, yet again.

I do not think that flying cars are an option for the masses, because there is
very high maintaining costs. This means that they are a toys for only those who
will take the maintenance as a hobby. There is of course that unavoidable noise
pollution so you cannot fly in the city with those. Also safety issues are too
big in the cities.

   ―Jouni