At 01:01 PM 4/10/2012, Axil Axil wrote:

I am interested in the “life after death” phenomena as an indicator of the possibility of multiple causes of cold fusion. Some systems show life after death and others do not; Rossi…yes, the Brillouin Energy system…no. A single cause should show the same type of behavior.

Not necessarily. A "single cause" may exist in various states of "setup."

First of all, what is "heat after death"? The term was developed to name the phenomenon sometimes observed, that a Fleischmann-Pons cell, which is maintained at high loading by continuous electrolysis, shows anomalous heat -- even increasing -- *after* the electrolysis current is shut off -- or the cell has boiled dry, or has used up its heavy water, in some cases, so that the current stops.

HAD tells us little about the mechanism for generating excess power, only that it obviously doesn't depend on continued electrolysis, per se. This appears to contradict the finding that XP directly varies with current density, but that finding may be indirect, i.e., based on a variation with deuterium loading or flux.

However, deuterium loading will decline as the deuterium escapes. The process of escape, the resulting deuterium flux, could explain the process as well. That is, the long-term general suspicion has been that triggering the reaction is enhanced by movement of the deuterium. In or out!

HAD doesn't mean much with gas-loading work, unless a gas-loaded cell is being heated to be elevated in temperature. (That would be the case with Rossi, but certainly not with all gas-loaded results.)

What does (Lattice Energy LLC) theory state in explanation of this “life after death” behavior?

I haven't been able to figure out what they say about "Heat *before* death." They are proposing a mechanism not previously seen, and without any evidence for the mechanism itself. It's purely "Well, if Magic could happen, then the mystery of cold fusion is explained."

Fine. If "Magic" can happen. Can it? I don't see specific predictions in the W-L papers, only masses of speculations and possibilities (or impossibilities!) asserted as if they were fact.

I don't see any considerations of rate, and rate is crucial. Fusion can happen at room temperature, you know. The only problem is *rate*! Way silly low.

By ignoring rate considerations, then, once they get us to accept that neutrons can form, they then can assert a whole series of reactions, and you don't notice the rate problem. Even so, they need to invent a perfect gamma shield. They actually patented it, I just read the patent.

http://www.slideshare.net/lewisglarsen/us-patent-7893414-b2

There is no coverage of any experimental evidence that gamma shielding actually occurs, no described demonstration or operating parameters or characteristics.

Just assertion without evidence. That patent is full of utterly irrelevant information.

The "preferred embodiments," as far as I can tell, do not describe how to build a working model. They seem to assume that metal hydrides will "just do it."

Interestingly, they predict reaction enhancement by laser stimulation at resonant frequencies. But they don't specify the frequencies. That way, they can then claim that any stimulation effect was "predicted" by them.

I see no sign that they actually built the device they have patented. Amazing, isn't it, that CF patents have generally been banned, but this patent was allowed. Did CF patents depend on a particular theory of operation? Very strange.