-----Original Message-----
From: Robin in reply to Terry's message:

>Do we know the nature of the detector alarms?  What they were sensing?

RvS: My guess would be the gamma rays generated by the lightning bolts
(Particles accelerated fast enough by high voltage and a high current
squeezed by the magnetic field into a thin filament must produce some fusion
gammas &/or bremsstrahlung x-rays).

Yes, this is probably the major component of radiation from lightning - but
neutrons could travel far enough to be detected, as well.

Deuterium is present in thunderstorms so neutrons are produced. On average
at least 10^15 deuterium atoms per cubic centimeter are available in natural
H2O. In lightning, billions of deuterons can potentially react though either
fusion or the stripping reaction (Oppenheimer-Phillips). Neutrons from
fusion have 2.45 MeV of mass-energy, but can only exist a few tenths of a
second in air on average. Yet - that energy is immense and converted to net
propagation distance (in a 'random walk') this is sufficient for neutrons to
travel a distance of a few kilometers from the strike - and the port of
Oakland physically adjoins the Bay Bridge, so many neutrons would be
detected in rad meters designed for that purpose.