A further thought.  Consider the fuel intake valve of an automobile.  We all
know that these can not be perfect and thus allow absolute isolation between
the extremely hot gases within the cylinder and the intake mixture.  Some
explosive gas and heat must get to the intake mix but it does not ignite.  I
suspect that the heat injected within each small volume of input mixture does
not reach that required to trigger a reaction.  If the leak becomes too large
then backfires would most likely result.

I think of the LENR reaction as being similar.  The melted cavities that are
seen on active experiments appear to me to be a cascade of individual small
reactions.  There is enough energy released within an active volume to spread
outside of that region into the next sensitive one.  This process would
continue until the heat generated per volume no longer supports the heat loss
through its surface area at which time the reaction quenches.  There may be
methods of controlling the energy generation volumes such as with magnetic
fields which may be DGT's technique.

The energy transfer through the surface areas of the tiny volumes of active
LENR regions may be in some other form than heat such as radiation but the
cascade would be similar.  I can imagine that a focused beam might even occur
where the reactions proceed along a relatively narrow path similar to a laser
amplification.  If this were the case then a cone shaped expulsion of melted
material could appear which looks suspiciously like the pictures I have seen.

Dave