I was considering the gasoline vapor ignition question further and thought that
a simple math example of the effect would shed light upon the subject.   An
intense amount of local heating is generated when a small region of vapor mix
is ignited by some means.  This released heat energy then proprogates outward
from the ignition volume into the surrounding material and if the intensity is
adequate the flame will proceed onward.
Recall that volume of a sphere is proportional to radius cubed while surface
area is proportional to radius squared.  A result of these relationships is
that less heat per unit area escapes into the surrounding medium as the size of
the active sphere becomes smaller.  This implies that a certain minimum volume
of material must be ignited before the surrounding mix can see enough energy
for it to ignite as well.  The UV rays apparently do not activate a volume that
is great enough for further activity.
Lets choose an easy example to calculate which actually bears little comparison
to the actual case at hand but demonstrates the process.  Assume that we have
ignited the gas vapor mix within a volume that releases 1 joule of heat energy.
 Our test region has a radius of 1 cm for the example.  The area of a sphere is
4*pi*R*R or 4 * 3.14159 * 1 centimeter * 1 centimeter = 12.566 square cm.  The
energy density leaving the sphere is thus 1 joule / 12.566 square cm.  Perhaps
this is enough to ignite the material at the surface of the sphere and the
flame would proprogate.  Now lets only ignite a ½ cm radius sphere of vapor
mix.  The heat released would now be ½ * ½ * ½ or 1/8 joule.  But the area
would also shrink to the new value of 4 * pi * ½ * ½ = 3.1416 square cm.  Thus
the net energy density leaving our new smaller volume is exactly ½ the original
amount which might not be enough to ignite the adjacent material.
Dave