My two-cents:

Anthropologically speaking it is best to not contaminate the
indigenous life forms one is trying to study such as by making too
much of an overt presence. To announce one's presence would
immediately cause the subjects one is observing to behave unnaturally.
Data would immediately be skewed. I would imagine that there are
general guide-lines in place that attempt to minimize unnecessary
exposure to outside influences.

Of course, expeditions occasionally mess up. An occasional crash
happens here or there. S#*t happens. If accidental exposure can be
kept to a minimum covert observations can continue more-or-less
unabated.

I would imagine that as we become more technologically advanced and
interstellar travel finally becomes feasible we are likely to be in
for a rude awakening.

An old Star Trek TNG episode "First Contact" deals with the subject of
first introductions in both a poignant and humorous way. It's one of
my favorite ST-TNG episodes.

Here's Wikipedia's take on the plot-line:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Contact_%28Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation%29

http://tinyurl.com/6r5zxc2

Regards
Steven Vincent Johnson