________________________________
 Von: ecat builder <ecatbuil...@gmail.com>
An: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Gesendet: 22:07 Freitag, 18.Mai 2012
Betreff: [Vo]:Spark plugs... thoughts and how-to?

Brad,

Can anyone recommend a way to create a single or continuous sparks
with a spark plug using off-the-shelf parts? I have a simple frequency
generator (sine/sqr/tri waves) that I can use, which I could hook to
an SCR and send voltage to a coil. But I'd rather use off the shelf...
but a circuit diagram might work too.  Or, could I use something like
a strobe light kit that uses a plug instead of a flashtube?

remember that
--strobe lights operate at 200-400V DC, coupled with a trigger-pulse --NOT VERY
SIMPLE
especially with H2, which is more difficult to ignite than noble-gases in
atmospheric-pressure and above environments. But I'm not an expert on this.
--old LCD (Plasma)-backlight operates at 300-1000V AC 40kHz --NOT GOOD

A better start is definitely a ignition-coil spark-plug design.
See eg here http://mosfetkiller.de/?s=zuendspulen#top
(sorry German, but You get the idea)

Look at the pictures near the bottom of the page.
Interesting is the raster-board used as an electrode, which produces sort of
plasma-dots.

-----------------------
Now the main question is: what do You want the sparks to do?
a) generate H+ ?
b) direct energy into the Ni-powder ?

I'm quite convinced that (a) is correct. (b) would most probably locally melt
Your powder. Nothing else.

The way to go would be to attach a twodimensional electrode to the spark-plug
center electrode.
(eg copper-clad PCB with an etched pattern on it) Then plasma-generation can be
fuzzily distributed on a plane or some other surface (like RF-plasmas naturally
do).
You then need an auxiliary (DC-)voltage of 50-100V to direct the protons into
the powder.

If you're interested, please comment.
I can elaborate a bit further.

best regards