Actually maybe you can have too much voltage.

I suspect it may be more power efficient to maintain a continuous plasma
channel with much lower voltages
than to produce a succession of high voltage sparks.

Once a plasma channel is established it can be maintained with lower
voltage and more efficient AC power supplies.

Take TIG welding with high voltage startup as a practical example of this.
 Or perhaps a Jacobs Ladder.