OrionWorks - Steven V Johnson <svj.orionwo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Obesity, diabetes, heart failure, and a slurry of other physical maladies
> is the price we are currently paying for our civilization that has become
> too successful.

No doubt that is the biological root of the obesity problem. That is why
fat people exist. I doubt there are any obese chimpanzees in the wild.

But the recent explosive increase in obesity starting in the 1970s has more
prosaic causes, in my opinion. The main causes are things like changes in
food technology such as frozen food; new types of food such as
high fructose corn syrup; and Federal subsidies for things like corn, milk
and meat.

In North America, middle-class and wealthy people have had access to
unlimited amounts of food at very low cost since the early 19th century,
but obesity was rare until the 1970s. Middle class people did not exercise
much after the spread of automobiles 1920s, so I do not think sloth is the
main factor.

The problem is complicated, as described in books such as "Prescription for
a Healthy Nation" but the main issue is recent changes in diet, and in what
anthropologists call "foodways." That is: when and where you eat, size of
portions, what you select for each meal, who prepares the food by what
methods, and so on. To me, the problem does not seem hard to fix. Just go
back to the foodways of 1950. That's what I do, and my weight has not
changed in 30 years.

That is an example of a solution that is clearcut, direct, and yet also
complicated and difficult to implement. Turning back the clock to 1950s
foodways would involve many expensive changes, higher grocery costs, and
also education. This resembles my solution to global warming: I say we
should stop burning fuel and then break apart CO2 molecules into C and O2,
remove several trillion tons of carbon from the air, and put it back
underground. That is the direct approach that gets to the heart of the
matter. Needless to say, you need cold fusion to do a thing like that. You
also need my kind of imagination, which I shared with Arthur C. Clarke. I
am not boasting about that! What I mean is that Clarke and I are both
literal-minded people with the uncluttered imagination of a 6-year-old.
Many people said that about him. They did not mean it as flattery. Given a
problem we tend to ignore difficulties, politics, and so-called practical
limitations. We gravitate toward the most direct method.

Clarke and I looked at the problems with food production and farms, for
example, which we were both pretty familiar with. Clarke grew up on a farm
and I spent a lot of time in the countryside. We both early on and
independently concluded that farms are wonderful but it would make a lot
more sense to grow food indoors. We looked at automobiles and said they
have their merits but there are too many. There is too much traffic and
they cause too many accidents, so let us get rid of cars somehow. People
say it is impossible, but I say things are sometimes easier than you
think. In Atlanta voters will soon pass the SPLOST initiative to spend
billions on highways. If people seriously want to fix the traffic problem,
this is not the right way to go about it. Building more roads will only
make the problem worse. Smart traffic lights maybe, but not more pavement.

The first thing to do is implement widespread use of high-res video
telecommuting. Then they should start dynamiting highways, permanently
blocking streets, and charging a $20 toll to come downtown, the way they do
in London. They should make the subway trains free, and charge people to
drive, instead of doing it the other way around.

I expect I am right about that policy. What I am describing is physically
possible. It is probably the cheapest and best answer. But there is not the
slightest chance that any politician in Georgia -- or anywhere in the U.S.
-- would advocate this.

Things can change though. Sometimes things change overnight, such as when
two nuclear reactors blow sky high. Suddenly you get conservative Japanese
politicians all in agreement that they should abruptly close down the
nuclear power industry.