The definition of "Yeoman" is at issue.  Its modern degeneration has
virtually nothing to do with the original notion.  Basically there was,
once upon a time, recognition of the foundation of civilization --
primarily because civilization had only recently arisen.  This is
particularly true of northern Europeans who remained, very deliberately,
uncivil until late JudeoChristianization.  Part of the resistance to
civilization is that young lovers cannot nest simply by virtue of the young
man forcefully challenging a "noble" owner of some land and taking land
necessary to support a mate and their children together without paying
"fees".  The answer arrived at by wiser men than today's monied class --
men who were involved in building civilization from the ground up rather
than coming in and simply taking credit -- was a recognition of homesteads
as inviolable.  Indeed, this is the origin of the Norse concept of the
allodium -- the basis of allodial, as opposed to feudal, law.  This all
gets back to individual integrity:  When a young man is "broken" by
civilization in order to provide for and protect the formation of his
family, more is broken than a mere "uncivil spirit".  In a very real sense,
he is alienated from himself -- he is incapable of what you call
"conviction" except in the travesties visited upon his mind by government
and religion.