James,
thank you for Your sensible comment.

I did not know about the term 'allodium'.
looking after the term, I read:
True allodial title is rare, with most property ownership in the common law
world—primarily, the United Kingdom, the United States, Canada,
Australia, New Zealand and the Republic of Ireland—described more
properly as being in fee simple.

As a comment, being 'free' in the continental sense is mostly ascribed to
communities, like Nueremberg (Nürnberg),

which reads like that:

In 1219, Frederick II granted the Großen Freiheitsbrief (Great Letter of
Freedom), including town rights, Reichsfreiheit (or Imperial immediacy), the
privilege to mint coins and an independent customs policy, almost
wholly removing the city from the purview of the burgraves.
So the people there were 'free' in the sense that they were mainly subject to
municipial rule.

So interspersed in the empire were free cities, famously the italian ones like
Venice or Florence or the
Hanse-towns from Hamburg up  to Riga, and free citizens, mainly
trademen, which delegated some of their whealth to the truly creative
people.
Which is my main point, that it were not the holders of whealth and
power, but those they chose as a proxy to their own lack of creativity,
which they seemed to be aware of, sort of a division of labor.

A different strain would be the monks in the monasteries, which preserved their
'freedom' in their own peculiar manner.

I must confess that I have only
rudimentary knowledge about the rise of british 'yeomen', which somehow
must have been arisen from Oxford and Cambridge (1150 to 1300) , which
not simply were holders of power, but men of knowledge. This has been a
paneuropean phenomenon, increasingly generating a counterweight to
traditional nobility.

Anyway, interesting topic.

all the best
Guenther