I share your concerns, Mark

And, according to studies I've read, hardening the grid would not really
cost that much - certainly just a small fraction of what's spent to
protect against imaginary dangers.

I am not sure, but I believe a meteor or comet strike (Tunguska scale)
could also cause an EMP large enough to cause a cascading failure.

Looking at the state of politics, there is no reason for optimism.

Lou Pagnucco