From: pagnu...@htdconnect.com [mailto:pagnu...@htdconnect.com]
Sent: Thursday, June 14, 2012 8:21 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [Vo]:FYI: Electrons moving in certain solids can behave as if
they are a thousand times more massive than free electrons.

This is an interesting effect.  I believe the full text (daunting reading)
preprint is available at --
http://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1206/1206.3145.pdf

I am no expert on this, but my impression is that the heavy quasi-particles
described only exist at relatively low energies, and probably dissipate
quickly in high temperatures, and also are subject to dynamical constraints.
I would be surprised if they could couple to a proton and form anything
analogous to muonic hydrogen.

-- Lou Pagnucco