Anyone who has spent time working on internal combustion engines (ICE) knows
that when an ICE runs rich (too much fuel) it will eventually foul the
sparkplugs with a dry powdery soot, which has a high carbon content.  The
sparkplug insulator turns black from these deposits and becomes conductive,
thus, destroying the insulating function essential to its operation.  This
basically connects the center (hi-Voltage) electrode to ground thru these
carbon deposits, and the spark no longer occurs, and the engine won't start.

However, an interesting side note is that if you pull off the sparkplug
cable from the sparkplug, and hold it a little bit away from the sparkplug,
creating a spark-gap (you can hear the arcing), and try to start the engine,
it will run.  As soon as you put the cable back on the sparkplug, the engine
will start to die;  pull the cable a bit away and the engine will start
firing again. you can only do this so long before the SP becomes so fouled
that nothing will help.

If any conductive particulates inside of a working LENR reactor get
deposited on the sparkplug, it will eventually cause a similar failure. I'd
be curious if using my above technique on a failing LENR reactor would at
least keep it going for some time after it would have certainly failed to
run.

Wondered if the kind of spark-gaps used on large tesla coils might help, but
they too have some kind of insulating element which would become fouled as
well. the longer the insulator, the longer it runs. might buy you a few more
hours/days, but eventually it would fail.  Unless you put the entire hi-V
supply inside the reactor, you're gonna need some kind of insulating element
to separate the hi-V electrode from the reactor wall (which I assume is
conductive and grounded).  what if the entire reactor vessel, although
metal/conductive, was floating (electrically that is!).  no, you still need
a return line. just don't see a way around this, other than eliminating the
need for spark, or eliminating conductive particulates floating around
(literally!).

-mark