From: Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com>
To: vortex-l <vortex-l@eskimo.com>
Sent: Sun, Aug 5, 2012 4:32 pm
Subject: Re: [Vo]:LENR Heat Vs. Coal Heat

Harry Veeder <hveeder...@gmail.com> wrote:

I agree, that sooner or later global warming from waste heat will
become an issue...unless we can cancel the waste heat with waste cold
which is considered impossible according to the laws of
thermodynamics.

Nope. That would make refrigerators impossible. The Second Law states that heat
cannot of itself go from one body to a hotter body. It can go but you need an
external mechanism. Such as compressed and expanded gas moving around a loop.

Since heat escapes in about a half hour, and since total the heat release from
machines is far less than solar energy, I do not think this will ever be a
problem. However, suppose we find too much waste heat at ground level from
energy production is trapped in the atmosphere. It causes heat islands and even
contributes to global warming. In that case, we need to build a gigantic
refrigerator coil that dumps the heat outside the atmosphere. That is to say,
something like space elevator, or at least a tower maybe 100 km high.  Air
temperature refrigerator fluid is pumped up the tower, out of the atmosphere,
and then compressed. It is decompressed on the down loop.

You might just pump ocean water temperature water up the tower and let it cool
in space. I am not sure if that would work. It would work at night.

Plan B would be a gigantic thin film parasol, to intercept sunlight.

If we have a space elevator, I think it would make more sense to transfer heavy
industry up, away from the atmosphere. I guess right up to the Clarke orbit
(geosynchronous). You put the waste heat, noise and pollution 35,000 km away.

You have to Think Big.