Thanks for the comment Jed.  I was afraid that my attempt at defining the
problem was difficult to follow and you have confirmed that worry.

What should we consider as global warming if it is not the actual heating of
the globe?  If excess heat is not ultimately the result of the release of
carbon dioxide and its partner compounds then I do not understand how to define
the phenomenon.

I am looking at the problem from the viewpoint that coal in this case
effectively keeps on burning for many years.  Of course the initial heat
release rate is far more intense than the relatively slow process of trapping
sunlight over many years during which the gas resides within the atmosphere.
Never the less, the final tally associated with burning of a finite quantity of
coal should be the equivalent to a multiple of the initial heat released when
that quantity burns.

Now, if the carbon dioxide that we release into the atmosphere does not have a
finite lifetime of existence, then my assumption is not true.

Radiated heat that escapes during the night has to be associated with the earth
temperature as the source.  I am suggesting the initial fuel burning heat as
well as sunlight contributed heat that is trapped by the released gas will
contribute to (increase) this initial black body earth temperature that leads
to radiation into space.   Global warming would mean that the temperature
overall is hotter and consequentially more heat must be radiated if we are to
maintain status quo.  The two are by necessity connected and one can not be
separated from the other.

If we make the assumption that waste heat does not matter in our effort to
confront global warming, then why would we not just define heat trapped by the
global warming gasses as waste heat?  Joules are joules in my opinion.
Actually I think that we have to confront the entire heating process that the
earth faces if we are to make headway.  This has to include all sources of
heat, including any new heat that arises out of the usage of LENR technology.

LENR technology might very well allow us to dispose of the current heat
trapping gases as you seem to be suggesting.  LENR does not suffer from any
heat multiplication effects that are obvious.

I bet my thoughts are still not entirely clear.  Sorry about the poor wording
of my answer as it has been a long day.

Dave