I was thinking about this overnight and I think the right answer is
probably somewhere in the middle. Suppose you are able to obtain a working
LENR device containing e.g. powdered Ni or a Pd-coated cupronickel wire or
whatever. You can certainly put the active material under and SEM and a
spectrometer and determine exactly what it is, that's no problem. But you
do not have access to the process that caused it to get that way.

The significance of this fact should not be underestimated. The processing
may be extremely nontrivial, requiring very expensive equipment for e.g.
vapor deposition of metals with precise control over process parameters.
Consider semiconductor processing. How do you think Intel has maintained a
lead over the rest of the world for decades? By investing heavily in the
real crown jewels, their process technology. And by not talking very much.
It's worked for them. It could work for others.

At the very least, this situation poses a severe barrier to academic
replication in the short term. Unless, of course, one or more of the
leaders choose to share the precise details.

Jeff