Abd,

I size pressure safety relief devices all the time.  Typically you select a
PSV relief orifice size to handle the maximum instantaneous relief flow
required to keep the vessel with 10% of its ASME design pressure.  You
usually do not let the device/vessel crack or explode.  In deflagration
events you sometimes will design an explosion hatch (like on a grain silo)
or enclosed tank with volatile gasses to prevent complete vessel failure,
shrapnel and high replacement costs

Of course if you are dealing with an unknown, somewhat uncontrollabe
nuclear type reaction it will be virtually impossible to size a relief
device to insure safety until the reaction kinetics are understood.