Interesting article:

http://www.vice.com/read/whoa-dude-are-we-inside-a-computer-right-now-0000329-v19n9

excerpt:

"The other interesting thing is that the natural world behaves exactly
the same way as the environment of Grand Theft Auto IV. In the game,
you can explore Liberty City seamlessly in phenomenal detail. I made a
calculation of how big that city is, and it turns out it’s a million
times larger than my PlayStation 3. You see exactly what you need to
see of Liberty City when you need to see it, abbreviating the entire
game universe into the console. The universe behaves in the exact same
way. In quantum mechanics, particles do not have a definite state
unless they’re being observed. Many theorists have spent a lot of time
trying to figure out how you explain this. One explanation is that
we’re living within a simulation, seeing what we need to see when we
need to see it."

<end>

Not that others have not considered this.  For example, in this review
by John Walker of Susskind's "The Cosmic Landscape":

http://www.fourmilab.ch/documents/reading_list/indices/book_487.html

<excerpt>

"Suppose this is the case: we're inside a simulation designed by a
freckle-faced superkid for extra credit in her fifth grade science
class. Is this something we could discover, or must it, like so many
aspects of Theory 2, be forever hidden from our scientific
investigation? Surprisingly, this variety of Theory 1 is quite
amenable to experiment: neither revelation nor faith is required. What
would we expect to see if we inhabited a simulation? Well, there would
probably be a discrete time step and granularity in position fixed by
the time and position resolution of the simulation—check, and check:
the Planck time and distance appear to behave this way in our
universe. There would probably be an absolute speed limit to constrain
the extent we could directly explore and impose a locality constraint
on propagating updates throughout the simulation—check: speed of
light. There would be a limit on the extent of the universe we could
observe—check: the Hubble radius is an absolute horizon we cannot
penetrate, and the last scattering surface of the cosmic background
radiation limits electromagnetic observation to a still smaller
radius. There would be a limit on the accuracy of physical
measurements due to the finite precision of the computation in the
simulation—check: Heisenberg uncertainty principle—and, as in games,
randomness would be used as a fudge when precision limits were
hit—check: quantum mechanics."

<end>

I just hope it's not running a Windoz OS!