Yeah, and remember I was trying to achieve Boron-Hydrogen fusion.   At the
beginning of the P&F announcement, Pons' and Flieshman suggested that the
electrolysis over potential could induce pressures at the surface of the
metal that are literally  astronomical.  I don't recall exactly, but it was
huge! 10-23 PSI?  Something like that.  That was the track I followed
theory wise to design this experiment.    You know, at the atomic level,
that scale of pressure is typical, so what if?

So question one;  does that over potential exist on the cathode only, or
does it exist on both?    Cathode vs anode is one of the most
confusing terminologies  I've run into.   Cathode should be negative, anode
should be positive.  However, the direction of flow for electrons is weird.
 At the time, no one knew if it was a surface effect or a deep metal
effect.   Based on the period of time for  the P&F effect (quite
questionable effect) to come on, the Pd+D sounded like it was a deep metal
effect.  But their discusion suggested over potentials at the surface.   If
it was surface, then a B11 + p  fusion (pB11) might be possible.  At the
time surface vs volume effect was a huge debate.

So being the curious and cheap college student I was, this is the end
result.  I did tried a lot of common metals and combinations, Al, stainless
steel, zinc, all stunk, and borax corroded the alligator clips
(eventually).  Copper wire did OK, but would break down and color the
electrolyte (co-deposition is possible there, but the Ni, never changed
color from the copper deposits).   Ni was awesome. I eventually settled on
graphite from a pencil. although a hobby shop would have been better.
Just carefully shave off the wood with a razor or exacto knife.    I
selected graphite for several reasons, but mainly I didn't wan't it
participating in reaction.  It should be inert for most of the chemistry
that was happening.  It also has some resistance so it acts kind of like a
current limiter ( I had burned up a DC transformer with a copper electrode
).

The effect is very robust (which is what CF needed from the beginning).  It
is fascinating and the physics behind it is not trivial!

Best Regards,
Chuck