I don't want to frighten people away from trying things. Playing with electrochemistry can be a way to learn about it, and to start to get a sense for what has happened in the field. Chuck's experiences with things getting gunked up, for example.

CF anodes (the electrode connected to the positive terminal of the power supply) tend to dissolve. They all do, to some degree. Platinum will be found, after a time, depositied on the cathode. But it's slow for platinum, I understand. I've got lots of stainless steel (316L steel) *yarn*, it happens to be a business of mine (12 micron wires, twisted 2x275 of them, soft), but I'm worried that the complex alloy involved would put too much weird stuff into the soup, so I'm planning on staying with platinum for a while.

If you use a piece of gold as an anode, it dissolves and plates the cathode with gold, Dennis Letts does this to create his overcoating of gold in his dual laser experiments.

Electrolyis of water produces hydrogen and oxygen, and, unless one or the other is differentially absorbed, the mixture that will come off of a cell is exactly the explosive mixture. So, unless you really know what you are doing, you don't want to allow the gases to accumulate. If they do, any spark could set off an explosion.

I read an account of an early amateur who wanted to try the experiment and wanted to recycle the heavy water. After all, it's quite expensive, plus a lot of energy escapes with the uncombusted gases, so the *actual* energy output is larger than might appear.

So he got this bright idea, set up a spark gap and keep igniting it, in a closed cell. He did. The contents of the cell ended up on his ceiling, and it could have been much worse.

When the catalytic converter failed in an SRI closed-cell experiment in the 1990s, and then, when the researcher picked up the cell and jarred the converter into suddenly working, the cell exploded, and it was fatal to the researcher and I understand Mike McKubre still has glass in his body from then.

So be careful. Really.

I recommend, especially, keeping things small until you know how a small experiment behaves.

And if someone wants to try the real deal, i.e, PdD, I do have all the necessary materials for a Galileo Project (SPAWAR) replication or the like, contact me directly.

(If someone comes up with a reproducible and reasonably safe experiment with NiH, I'd be interesting in supplying kits.)