To clearify my observations further:

1) room temperature experiments seem to require an additional trick to get
sufficient Hydrogen absorbtion: the use of an additional (transparant) layer

2) Rossi might not need to have the additional layer since he is operating
his nickel at a condition where Hydrogen absorbstion is significantly
higher than room temperature and in addition higher pressures.