Thanks for all of the ideas Chuck.  I will be out of town for a few days,
but will give this method a try when I get back.  I just got to thinking if
I clean the nickels using a torch, it might seal up the tiny cracks in the
metal through melting.  I can try it both ways.  I have set up a styrofoam
minnow bucket in which I will submerge a sealed cell for the electrolysis.
 I can then measure the temperature change in the surrounding water and get
a more precise measure of energy output.

I also plan to drill more holes through the nickels, and add additional
thoriated tungsten rods through these holes.  I'm also set up to be able to
take voltage and current measurements in addition to temperature.

I'm also working on setting up a control system with an Android smartphone
to provide pulsed DC power.  If I get some good results with manual
measurements, I hope to be able to use the same setup for automated data
logging.

Take care,
Jack