I should welcome Gibbs to the Reality Based community for these comments:

". . . it seems there may well be a real effect producing anomalous heat in
experimental setups.

The experimental stuff is all well and good but so far no one has managed
to definitively demonstrate that whatever the effect is can be reliably
harnessed to provide a useful energy source."

He should have mentioned that the experimental results have never been
refuted, and after 23 years it is safe to say they are irrefutable. If the
skeptics could have found a problem, they would have by now. The best they
can come up with is Jones' claim that recombination is a problem with a
closed cell.

Reliability is unproved, as Gibbs says. The fact that the effect can be
scaled up was proved definitively by the explosion at U. Utah, and later by
Mizuno's inadvertent heat after death event, which boiled away 17 liters of
water in 5 days.

See:

http://lenr-canr.org/acrobat/MizunoTnucleartra.pdf

If we can get the cells to do that on demand, in a controlled fashion,
there is not the slightest doubt this will be a practical source of energy.
That would be true even if the effect only worked with palladium.

A device of the same size and temperature of Mizuno's cell would, by
itself, be sufficient to power a surprisingly large fraction of our
industrial civilization. You may not think so at first, but you have to
take into account the fact that most machines consume less than 100 W.