I can't resist jumping back in at this point. These full bridge devices are
mostly used as motor controllers. In such applications you just need to
turn it on and have it supply an appropriate AC signal while the motor is
running and then turn it off. There's never any need for fine control or
signal modulation. Also, the full bridge design, on its own, doesn't lead
directly to any solution for the problem of superimposing the Q pulses on
the loading current.

Of course you're free to go your own way, but I think the motor controller
approach may be more difficult than just trying to adopt Godes' design
directly. If you look at the first figure
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-7NVukY_dlR0/UISB4e_LSAI/AAAAAAAAAW4/Rl9BROYHIHQ/s1600/Q-Pulses-1.PNGfrom
here
http://pdxlenr.blogspot.com/2012/10/thoughts-about-godes-brillouin-patent.htmlyou'll
see two traces, the green one at top and the blue one at the bottom.
The green spikes are the Q-pulses and the blue pulse train is the input
from the microcontroller.

The input pulse train from the microcontroller has a 50% duty cycle, but
the Q pulses are narrow. In other words, the Q pulse width is not a
function of the width of the input pulses. Instead, each positive-going
edge on the input causes a narrow positive-going Q pulse, and each
negative-going edge on the input signal causes a narrow negative-going Q
pulse. The characteristics of each Q pulse are set by the choice of
inductor and capacitor (labeled L1 and C2 in my circuit) and the load (R1
in my circuit), and not directly by any control signal.

Note that my C2 is equivalent to Godes' C5 in figure 3C of the patent
application. I apologize for not paying more attention to these labeling
issues. Also note that my circuit includes an "ideal" voltage source V1 at
upper left. A real circuit needs a discharge capacitor to simulate an ideal
voltage source. This is shown at extreme upper left in Godes' figure 3C.
Confusingly, the discharge capacitor is labeled "C2" in Godes' designations.

Now, the distinctions between my partial circuit and Godes' complete one.
First, in Godes' circuit you see a transformer, T8 (part number "F626-12")
in place of my inductor L1. That transformer is playing two roles. These
are (a) its primary winding acts as an inductor, playing the role of my L1.
And (b), the Q pulses couple across to the secondary winding; but in the
secondary, which shares no ground reference with the primary, Godes is free
to establish any ground reference (or DC loading current +V) he likes.

As you can see from figures 3C and also 3B and 3A, Godes uses the center
tap of the transformer as "ground" (or +V) for the loading current. Now,
since the transfomer-coupled Q pulses are swinging "end to end" across the
secondary winding and the center tap of the secondary is the reference
point, the Q pulses are swinging positive and negative relative to the
reference point of the loading current. In other words they are AC.

The reason I used the term "ground (or +V)" and "reference point" above is
that it doesn't matter for the superimposed Q-pulses. It does matter for
the loading current; you have to pick the loading current polarity so that
the center tap of the transformer leads to the electrochemical anode. The
ensures that the core will be the cathode, so it will evolve the H2 to
load. You can more clearly see in figure 3A, where the core is labeled
"15". Figure 3A also shows how the two ends of the secondary of T8 (which
is not labeled, but there's only one transformer in figure 3A) are across
the core; thus, as the Q pulses swing positive and negative, the polarity
reverses across the core, which is the true meaning of "AC" in this case.

In summary, you could probably generate interesting pulse trains with a
variety of techniques. But I think the clever use of T8 is essential. I'm
not going to try and explain why I think this, it's partly gut feel. I just
wouldn't imagine trying to solve this problem in other ways when the Godes'
circuit shows a way of doing it that I believe will work.

Also, to summarize the parameters that Godes can vary from the
microcontroller, they are: (1) the amplitude of the Q pulses, labeled "55a"
in figures 3A, 3B, and 3C; (2) presumably the width of the input pulses,
which control the spacing between positive- and negative-going Q pulses;
(3) the timing of the input pulses, which controls the timing of Q-pulse
pairs. But not the "shape" of the pulses, which is determined by the
inductance of the primary of T8, the value of C5, the load on the secondary
of T8 (i.e. the impedance of the wet cell) and the coupling characteristics
of T8.

It is this last bit that explains why I think I would need decent test
equipment to get this circuit working - the AC characteristics are going to
be weird and will need to be discovered bit by bit. For example changes in
the AC impedance of the wet cell caused by ongoing electrolysis could cause
the whole secondary circuit to begin oscillating under the drive of the Q
pulses through T8, that sort of thing.

Jeff