Abd ul-Rahman Lomax <a...@lomaxdesign.com> wrote:

My suggestion. For more effective communication, don't use language that
> treats a guess as if were known fact. Even if it seems like a good guess.

Any statement about the nature of cold fusion is a guess. There are no
generally accepted theories. I'll take "fusion" over the W-L theory or
Mills. LENR means more or less the same thing as "fusion" since it sure
doesn't see likely to be fission. What other reactions are there starting
with H or D? Nowhere to go but up. I doubt the entire thing is host metal
reactions.

You have to call it something. Any name will include some assumptions and
exclude others. Even "the FP effect" assumes that Ni-H is the same effect
as Pd-D.

It is axiomatic in language that: Words are not in themselves the thing
they represent; they are partial descriptions at best; and (also along
these lines) word etymology has no bearing on present meaning. I was going
to mention that with regard to your discussion about the word "Allah." Even
if it did once mean "Moon God" that has no bearing on what it means now. (I
will take your word that it did not derive from that.)

The English word "Monday" is derived from the word "moon" but it now has no
connection whatever to the moon. The word "understand" no longer means
standing under, even though it originally had that meaning a metaphoric
sense. Computer folders no longer fold in any sense.

Most words were originally derived from metaphor.