On Sat, 22 Dec 2012 17:54:14 -0600
"OrionWorks - Steven Vincent Johnson" <orionwo...@charter.net>
wrote:

> From Vorl:

> > I recently started to block everything from or about him so I do
> > not see anything.

> A sensible approach. As previously mentioned, I also block his posts.

> But I also choose not to block the posts of others who may be replying to
> this troll's posts. That is too much of a draconian approach for me to
> initiate. Throwing the baby out with the bathwater, etc...

If on average half of his original post is quoted, how do you
avoid seeing it? It seems to me you are undoing your own killfile
of his original post.

> > I mean some psychological reason that requires you to see
> > everything going on here, no matter how unpleasant it is to you?

> I would reply by saying you are being patronizing. You have no idea what I
> read and don't read on this list.

It's pretty clear that you are reading posts by the person you
have killfiled by reading replies to him, which gets you worked
up enough to ask Bill Beaty to 'administratively' do something
about it, i.e. ban the poster.

> This is what concerns me: copy-cat trolling
> behavior.

I don't think anyone would try copycat trolling unless the
original troll was successful in provoking responses. And he won't
be successful if people do not respond.

They can either ignore him, or if they can not control themselves
from replying to everything that makes them indignant, or just
dislike reading drivel with their breakfast, they can use the
marvelous killfile filters that most email clients have.

> > I ask because I do not feel any such necessity and do not
> > understand why anybody would get bent out of shape about
> > something like what you are talking about.

> It's quite simple. I'm concerned about the over-all health of the vortex-l
> list.

One word: killfile

> > There are limits of course; I, for example, would demand that
> > Bill Beaty boot anyone who claimed that Rossi has shown no
> > evidence of OU heat generation.

> Let me get this straight. You could
couldn't

> care less about a poster ranting all
> over the place about his religious predilections, but OTOH, if someone
> opines that Rossi has shown now
no

> OU heat generation he should be booted off
> this list? Are you serious?
No

> Incidentally, I don't want off topic discussions banned, particularly when
> the subjects being discussed are not meant to antagonize others.

Why not use vortexb for off-topic discussions?