At 01:44 AM 12/25/2012, MarkI-ZeroPoint wrote:
Dave:
Couldn’t agree more, that there will never be agreement… and that’s ok, but take the debate elsewhere, guys…
-Mark

This forum is being abused to host material that is (1) not relevant and (2) highly offensive. This isn't just the anti-Islamic stuff, it's whatever topic the troll brings. The birther stuff had no place here at all. The global warming stuff, some justification, but again taking discussion completely out of the realm of our collective interest, and blaming regular list paticipants for making relatively non-controversial comments, and the anti-Islamic comments had zero justification, they were pure trolling and deliberate offense.

All this goes into the archive, which is internet searchable, and these posts come up in searches, even prominently. So I've answered here, because there is no other place more appropriate to answer. If this forum were being abused to promote Islam, for example, then there would be at least some level of excuse for Jojo Jaro's claims. But it hasn't been. Those anti-Muslim claims were *entirely* gratuitous, and highly offensive to about a billion people. Who increasingly are internet-savvy.

If this list permits those posts, and if they are left in the archive without answer, they will impugn the list. The whole list will be judged by the lack of response.

Jojo many times has promised to stop if others stopped. He lied. He's brought these materials back in the total absence of response to his earlier posts. He was allowed to have the last word, and that was not enough, because he's really looking for something other than what he says.

And that's obvious, to anyone who has actually followed his posting here. Just looking at the latest thread, say, you can easily come up with "a pox on both your houses." I get that.

However, until the list owner makes some decision, or delegates it to someone or some process, it might continue. Hence my recommendation: ignore whatever does not interest you. I will continue to make sure that any posts that are clearly off-topic have [OT] in the subject header. I will continue to have subject headers indicate that the debate or discussion is the kind of material that some object to.

But I don't intend to stop unless the drumbeat from the troll stops. I've done this before, by the way, on Wikimedia Foundation web sites. I've been effective. Some people didn't like it, but it did get the attention of those with superuser powers, and they handled the situation, whereas other administrators had been asleep. I was, in fact, enforcing policy, with the tools available to me.

And I did not care about personal consequences. I'm not that important. Should I be banned here -- I don't think that's likely, but it's also not impossible -- there are plenty of people who would forward a post from me to this list, if I ever need to post here in the future. To an extent, this list is a distraction from my work elsewhere, particularly the CMNS list, and my actual research.

I could write more about being banned, because I was ultimately banned on Wikipedia, but actually I'd rather not. It's not something I'd encourage everyone to do. Yet I accomplished exactly what I set out to do, and discovered exactly what I needed to know. Story of my life.

From: David Roberson [mailto:dlrober...@aol.com]
Sent: Monday, December 24, 2012 9:46 PM
To: vortex-l@eskimo.com
Subject: Re: [Vo]:[OT] Moon God, Dozens of wives, and marriageable age

Guys, I would very much prefer it if this thread were to be terminated. It is apparent that there will never be agreement between the parties involved in the dispute and highly unlikely that one or the other will modify his beliefs. Why not just shake hands (electronically of course) and change the subject to LENR or something else more interesting.

I suspect that I am not the only one with this opinion.

Dave