On Sat, Dec 29, 2012 at 8:38 AM, Jed Rothwell <jedrothw...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mark Gibbs <mgi...@gibbs.com> wrote:
>
> but it raises the question if/when will enter LENR such lists?
>>>

>> When there is a testable theory or a demonstrably practical device.
>>
>> So far, LENR is, to be perhaps somewhat poetic, no more than a
>> willow-the-wisp ...
>>

> I am sorry to be abrasive, but this is ignorant nonsense.

Alas, you really aren't sorry. That's just a technique to try to avoid
being called out for incivility.

> Cold fusion is far closer to being a practical device than things like
> plasma fusion or HTSC, and -- needless to say -- the Top Quark and the
> Higgs boson will never have any practical use. Yet no journalist would say
> these are "will-o-the-wisp" findings. Everyone knows they are real, even
> though they are of no practical use.

"Far closer"? How close? Next week? Next month? And throwing in other
scientific experiments - no matter what their payoff might or might not be
- is simply setting up a straw man argument ...

> (snip, snip, snip)
>
> It is the height of arrogance, and *gross ignorance of history*, to
> dismiss a laboratory finding because it seems to have no immediate,
> short-term practical use. Frankly, it is incredible to me that a science
> journalist such as Gibbs does not realize this. Have you read *nothing*about
> history?!?

"Gibbs"? Are you replying to me or simply grandstanding to the list?

I think your passion for cold fusion is getting in the way here.

There is no practical device yet, merely a lot of unverified claims and
overdue promises. Sure, there's lots of interesting experiments but is
there a testable theory? I'm not asking for a handwaving kind of
explanation, I'm asking for a theory that can be tested.