At 11:38 AM 12/29/2012, Jed Rothwell wrote:
Mark Gibbs <<mailto:mgi...@gibbs.com>mgi...@gibbs.com> wrote:

but it raises the question if/when will enter LENR such lists?

When there is a testable theory or a demonstrably practical device.

So far, LENR is, to be perhaps somewhat poetic, no more than a willow-the-wisp ...

Ah, Mark, I'm afradi the court may revoke your poetic license, you were speeding.

Testable theory was, as I've explained before, not directly relevant to the question. There are testable theories.

But it's this "willow-the-wisp" thing that went over the edge. First of all, Jed Rothwell is an editor. Surely you would not deliberately present him with such a horribly mispelled word. It's "will-o'the-wisp." Ignis fatuus. It is legitimately controversial if that phenomenon, though widely reported, is real, because it has not been captured or measured. LENR is nothing like that.

The most-verified LENR is the conversion of deuterium to helium, using palladium as a catalyst, as discovered by Pons and Fleischmann, and popularly called "cold fusion." The reaction is known to produce two correlated products, heat and helium, and the heat produced is consistent with the heat expected from deuterium fusion. This has been confirmed by twelve research groups; the correlation was discovered and published by Miles in 1993.

Every group which has attempted to confirm this, as far as we know, has come up with consistent results. It is simply not a scientific controversy any more.

But what remains controversial, and what may have begun to afflict scientific consideration of cold fusion by 1990 or so, is whether or not cold fusion could ever be a useful power source. In theory, yes. However we don't know the mechanism, and it is possible that the mechanism is inherently chaotic.

What it will take to determine this is research. Research that includes what was recommended by both U.S. Department of Energy reviews. And more.

It became clear by 1990 that the phenomenon was, as far as anything demonstrated, "difficult to reproduce." The same cell, everything outwardly the same, would produce different results at different times. Of course, the cell materials were *not* the same. The process was changing them. We now know a lot of what happens in, say, a Fleichmann-Pons cathode, the material cracks, oxides form on the surface, what may have started as a simple palladium rod becomes extremely complex. Pure palladium, perfectly refined, doesn't show the effect. If the palladium cracks grow too large, the high loading ratio necessary for the effect cannot be maintained, it leaks out too rapidly.

It is literally a mess.

Further, as more and more people started looking where nobody had looked before, lots of odd phenomena were observed. Some LENR reports are probably artifact. Some things have been reported and were never seen again. In this environment, skepticism is understandable.

I am sorry to be abrasive, but this is ignorant nonsense. Cold fusion is far closer to being a practical device than things like plasma fusion or HTSC, and -- needless to say -- the Top Quark and the Higgs boson will never have any practical use. Yet no journalist would say these are "will-o-the-wisp" findings. Everyone knows they are real, even though they are of no practical use.

Jed does know how to spell the word.

Mark, what Jed is claiming is basically true. That is, he's probably right. We will probably see a practical LENR device before we will see hot fusion power. (There are already hot fusion practical devices, for example, a nifty handheld neutron generator. I'd love to have one.) *However*, this is by no means a slam-dunk.

I urge you to stay on task. You've said you want to know what's real. That's great. What is real is the body of experimental work that has been published. That includes, by the way, the famous "negative replications." Those establish, in fact, what *not* to do if you want to see the effect! Don't be content with a loading ratio of 70%, merely because you don't know how to go higher than that -- it wasn't easy and before Pons and Fleischmann, it was even considered impossible -- because it is now known that the effect begins around 90%. Don't assume that pure, super-clean palladium will be better than worked palladium. Dennis Letts has developed a protocol that worked for him for many experiments, reliably, then stopped working. He hasn't identified why, yet, but he will. The Italians have developed methods of preparing palladium that are reasonably effective, and they are starting to understand through the study of the nanostructure, why.

Cold fusion research is *difficult*. That's what everyone told me when I started to think about doing experimental work. But ... it can be done. As you learn about the field, Mark, part of what is real is the expertise of people like Michael McKubre, a true professional. Don't confuse people like him with flamboyant entrepreneurs like Rossi. Rossi might have something, and, then again, he might have a set of techniques for imitating heat generation. We actually don't know. All the demonstrations that were witnessed by people like Essen and Kullander, the Swedish physicists, were flawed.

Problem is, Essen and Kullander were *physicists*, and not accustomed to doing practical calorimetry. Jed Rothwell is not a scientist, as such, but has an enormous well of experience in this field, he knows all the players, and he could easily have advised how to do much better calorimetry, for a truly convincing demonstration. Rossi declined all such assistance, and some of us conclude from that, that he didn't want a real, accurate demonstration. Which could mean this or that, and if you want to know what's real, stay away from what cannot be confirmed.

On the other hand, if you want to know the Next Big Thing, maybe you need to look at what's unclear. It's up to you!

On Vortex, you will see many reports of this or that amazing and likely preposterous claim. That's largely what Vortex is about. But many people who are involved with cold fusion read Vortex, it's kind of a tradition. Most of the active scientists stay away, however, or if they read it, they won't post.

Nearly every breakthrough in the history of science and technology has gone through a long period of gestation as a useless laboratory curiosity. Sometimes this lasts for years, sometimes for decades. You see this in the history of steam engines, telegraphy, photography, electric motors, incandescent lighting, Diesel engines, aviation, rocketry, DNA, computers, the laser, and countless others. Oersted demonstrated the principle of induction and electromagnets in 1820. Electric telegraphs had to wait for Henry to improve the electromagnet. Edison made the first practical electric motors in 1880. It took biologists 50 years to figure out that the genome is in nucleic acid, and not protein. Fifty years!

The Curies discovered radioactivity in 1898. The first practical use of this was in the atomic bomb in 1945, and the first commercial nuclear reactor was made in 1950.

If people had ignored or dismissed these subjects because they were unfinished scientific research, we would still be living with 18th century technology.

It is the height of arrogance, and gross ignorance of history, to dismiss a laboratory finding because it seems to have no immediate, short-term practical use. Frankly, it is incredible to me that a science journalist such as Gibbs does not realize this. Have you read nothing about history?!?

Mark, are you a "science journalist"? If so, I'd expect some familiarity with what Jed is talking about. Jed can be abrasive, but he also, quite often, knows what he's talking about. He can be a valuable source. Naturally, as a journalist, you will check everything.

Are you actually dismissing laboratory findings? That is not how I read you.